This week’s Weird Wild Pizza
Montreal Smoked Meat Pizza
This is about as close as you’re gonna get to Montreal, unless you’re already there! We keep it real here at Weird Wild Pizza with this Montreal smoked meat pizza recipe. The World Famous Schwartz’s does not mess around with their meat, with over 90 years of tradition, they are the oldest deli in Canada and are a Montreal classic. Arguably the best Montreal Smoked Meat on the planet, these guys know what’s up! And it’s so fresh they make you cook it at home. Genius!
The wild pizza dough even gets in on the tradition of the sacred Montreal smoked meat, with a rye pizza crust. Slathered in none other than ‘THE’ classic yellow mustard, bold and tangy, the perfect addition to smoked meat on rye. And it wouldn’t be right without a fresh pickle. I know it doesn’t feel right seeing a pickle on a pizza but y’know what else isn’t right, a freakin’ Montreal smoked meat pizza without a pickle… ya gotta pick your battles.
TODAY’S WEIRD WILD TOPPINGS
| Montreal Smoked Meat | Pickles | Yellow Mustard | Mozzarella Cheese |
OUR MAGICAL WILD PIZZA DOUGH
All Weird Wild Pizza’s are made with naturally occurring wild yeast to produce a healthier gluten option, and if you don’t care about that, it’s all good because it still delivers amazing taste.WILD PIZZA SOURDOUGH RECIPE HERE.
Montreal Smoked Meat Pizza
- BAKING STEEL
- PIZZA CUTTERS
- PIZZA PEEL
- ROLLING PIN
- 2 cups Montreal Smoked Meat
- 2 Pickles quartered
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- ⅔ cup Yellow Mustard
WILD RYE DOUGH
- 2 cups Sourdough Starter active
- ½ cup Dark Rye Flour
- ½ cup Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
WILD RYE DOUGH (1 hour)
- Make your dough by mixing the sourdough starter, rye flour and salt together. Then add bread flour (adding a bit of flour at a time until it takes shape but is still a little sticky) and knead the dough for about 30 seconds.
- Place the dough in lightly floured bowl and cover with a towel, set aside for 1 hour. (The pizza steel or stone needs to preheat for 1 hour as well, so preheat oven to 550 degrees after you finish making your pizza dough)
PIZZA (8-10 min)
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees F. with baking steel or pizza stone inside the oven for 1 hour.
- Prepare Montreal Smoked Meat (follow any cooking instructions if there are any) cut 1 cup in thirds, and dice 1 cup. Cut pickle into quarters lengthwise. Grate mozzarella cheese.
- Flour surface and roll out the dough. Put a floured pizza peel underneath the dough. Add sauce, layer 1 cup of meat (that's cut in thirds) cheese, and diced meat. Pat down the toppings before putting into the oven.
- Bake pizza in the oven at 550 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven with pizza peel and let cool for 5 minutes. Add sliced pickles.
Thanks for joining us on Weird Wild Pizza. But that’s not all, see what’s up next!…
What Weird and Wild pizza do you want Papa Za to make? The weirder the better, let us know and we will put Papa Za back to work and get his butt back in the kitchen to start creating more crazy pizza experiments!
Watch the Weird Wild Pizza Cooking Show | YOUTUBE | Follow Weird Wild Pizza | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | PINTEREST |