Fluffy and sticky and totally delicious. These sourdough cinnamon rolls rock! Tasty little clouds sprinkled and coated with a caramel like cinnamon filling. Covered in a sweet and delightful icing thats oeey and gooey, and covers all the right places.
After a few attempts to get this recipe right, it was worth the wait. Making sure that you let the dough rest in between the other steps is crucial to making these their best self!
If you want to know how to make a sourdough starter or feed a sourdough starter, this is a great place to start, most importantly have fun with the starter because the possibilities are nearly endless.
Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
- CAST IRON PAN
- 3 cups AP Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sourdough starter (active)
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Butter (melted)
- ¼ cup White sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup White sugar
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- ¼ cup Butter (softened)
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon powder
- 1½ cup Powder sugar
- ½ cup Cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the "dough" ingredients until well blended. Let rest 1 hour then stretch and fold the dough. *Stretch & Fold: grab one side of the dough while in the bowl, lift and fold over. Quarter turn the bowl and lift and fold over again for a total of four times.
- Cover and let dough rest for 1 more hour.
- Mix brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Bring ½ cup to room temperature.
- Mix together the "icing" ingredients in a medium bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface into a rectangle (approx. 12"x6"). Flour lightly as needed. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Spread softened butter over dough, covering the entire surface. Evenly sprinkle the filling mixture over dough. Roll up and cut into approx. 1" thick rolls.
- Butter cast iron pan and add rolls flat side down. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Bake @400°F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Carefully score around the edges of the rolls with a butter knife while still in cast iron pan. Pour icing over cinnamon rolls and start eating them!
HOW MANY DIFFERENT SOURDOUGH RECIPES WILL WE COME UP WITH? STICK AROUND TO FIND OUT! AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ALL THE WEIRD WILD PIZZA’S WE MAKE WITH THIS AMAZING WILD DOUGH! THANKS FOR JOINING DIY SOURDOUGH
You are welcome to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
Will you become one of the Pizza Weirdoughs!