After a few attempts we figured it out. An amazing sourdough pepperoni calzone recipe worth the fight. We failed a few times so you don’t have to, just make sure you seal the calzone very well. Or it will open up in the oven and kinda just turn back into a pizza.
Pizza is great, we may be bias, but we can’t deny the greatness of pizza. But when you just need to eat a folded up pizza, this sourdough pepperoni calzone recipe is the one! Loaded with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce, the secret is the proportions. Not too much but definitely not too little.
MAKE YOUR OWN SOURDOUGH STARTER
If you want to know how to make a sourdough starter or feed a sourdough starter, this is a great place to start, most importantly have fun with the starter because the possibilities are nearly endless.
Once you have your sourdough starter made you will need to feed it to keep it alive, but don’t worry its easier than it sounds, check out the video below to learn how-to feed your sourdough starter.
Sourdough Pepperoni Calzone
- ROLLING PIN
- 1 cup Sourdough starter (active)
- ½ cup Bread flour
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Pepperoni
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Knead the dough for 30 seconds, flour lightly as needed or add a little water if it's too dry.
- Place the dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover with a towel, set aside for 1 hour.
- Grate mozzarella cheese.
- Flour surface and roll out the dough ¼" thick. Flour lightly as needed.
- Add dough to parchment paper lined baking pan. Add tomato sauce to half the side of the dough, then add half the mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, then the other half of the mozza.
- Pull dough over the toppings and make sure to seal very well by rolling the dough over to make a nice sealed fold.
- Cut slice in the top of the calzone and brush entire calzone with melted butter.
- Bake calzone in the oven at 475° F. for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove calzone from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice it up!
HOW MANY DIFFERENT SOURDOUGH RECIPES WILL WE COME UP WITH? STICK AROUND TO FIND OUT! AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ALL THE WEIRD WILD PIZZAS WE MAKE WITH THIS AMAZING WILD DOUGH!
OR CHECK OUT SOME CHEESY PIZZA MERCH AT THE WEIRD WILD PIZZA SHOP. THANKS FOR WATCHIN’ AND WE WILL SEE YOU NEXT TIME!
WE ARE THE PIZZA WEIRDOUGHS
You have been invited to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
“Will you join the Pizza Weirdoughs”