PAPA ZA’S KITCHEN
Sweet and sour pork is incredible and this recipe gives you everything you need to make it at home, in your pajamas if you want. As the old saying goes “sweet ain’t as sweet without the sour” and we couldn’t agree more, philosophically and literally.
Sweet and sour pork traditionally goes great wth rice or noodles, but we decided to be weird and try it on a pizza too. It did not disappoint. Whether you want to get adventurous or keep it simple, this recipe rocks!
Sweet and Sour Pork
"Make this dish on its own or put it on a pizza!"Print Pin
Servings: 2 servings
- BAKING STEEL
- PIZZA CUTTERS
- PIZZA PEEL
- ROLLING PIN
SWEET AND SOUR PORK
- ½ lb Pork butt
- 1 cup Cooking oil
- 1 Egg white
- 1 Green onion
- ½ stalk Celery
- ¼ Red pepper
- ¼ Green pepper
- ¼ White onion
- ½ tsp Soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1 cup Pineapple tidbits (with juice)
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- ¾ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp Soy sauce
- Dice celery and green onion. Cut red and green pepper, and white onion into 1" cubes.
- Cut pork into 1" x ¼" slices, removing excess fat. Add pork slices to medium bowl, add sugar, soy sauce, egg white and green onions. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes, then add ¼ cup cornstarch, making sure to coat all the pork.
- In wok, heat 1 cup of oil to medium heat. Add pork and cook 6-8 minutes or until golden brown both sides, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon and let rest on a paper towel lined plate.
- Carefully remove some excess oil from wok, until there is about ½ cup remaining. Add celery, white onion, red and green pepper, still cooking on medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until cooked. Remove veggies and set aside.
- Carefully remove excess oil from wok, until there is about 2 tbsp. remaining. Add pineapple tidbits with juice, water (only ½ cup), sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce, bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and cold water (only ¼ cup) and add to wok, mix until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- Add to rice, noodles or put it on a pizza!
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 762IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 2mg
Thanks for joining Papa Za’s Kitchen. Make this dish on its own or put it on a pizza. Subscribe to see what’s up next!
What weird wild pizza do you want Papa Za to make next? And don’t forget to come over to the shop and grab yourself a cheesy pizza shirt!
WE ARE THE PIZZA WEIRDOUGHS
You have been invited to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
“Will you join the Pizza Weirdoughs”
YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | PINTEREST | TIK TOK