Chicken karaage that tastes just like the real deal…. because it is! Now take that amazing chicken and make yourself a chicken karaage pizza, you won’t be disappointed. This recipe stays true to the classic recipe with a delicious marinade of soy sauce, sake (or mirin if you’re in a pinch) fresh garlic and ginger. Japanese fried chicken is some of the best fried chicken world wide, hands down.
The secret to a great chicken karaage is deep frying it twice. Not only does this make it crispier but it also makes the chicken so very tender and delicious by giving the chicken a break in between frying. Topped with green onions for the freshness. This chicken karaage pizza has such bold flavors that shine, especially when you add the comforting zing and kick from the wasabi mayo. Spicy mayo for the win!
Chicken Karaage | Mozzarella Cheese | Green Onions | Wasabi Mayo
Chicken Karaage Pizza
- BAKING STEEL
- PIZZA CUTTERS
- PIZZA PEEL
- ROLLING PIN
- 2 cups Chicken karaage (*instructions below)
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Wasabi mayo (*instructions below)
- ½ cup Green onions
- 4 Chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sake (or Mirin)
- 1 tsp Ginger (fresh, grated)
- 1 tsp Garlic (fresh, diced)
- ½ tsp Sesame oil (toasted)
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- Cooking oil (for frying)
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1 tbsp Wasabi paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice (half lemon)
- ½ tsp Ginger (fresh, grated)
SOURDOUGH PIZZA DOUGH
- 2 cups Sourdough starter
- 1 cup Bread flour
- 1 tsp Salt
SOURDOUGH PIZZA DOUGH (1 hour)
- Make your dough by mixing the sourdough starter, salt and bread flour together (adding a bit of flour at a time until it takes shape)
- Knead the dough for 30 seconds, flour lightly as needed or add a little water if it's too dry.
- Place the dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover with a towel, set aside for 1 hour (the baking steel or stone needs to preheat for 1 hour as well, so preheat oven to 550°F after you finish making your pizza dough)
- Peel and grate ginger, dice garlic and chop chicken into bite sized pieces.
- In large bowl add soy sauce, sake, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and chicken, marinate for 30 minutes.
- In separate large bowl add cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper. Coat chicken in flour mix and set aside.
- In large frying pan add about an inch of cooking oil and heat to medium. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes, flipping once (don't overcrowd the pan, do it in 2 batches) Let chicken rest 3-4 minutes and bring the oil temperature up to medium0high heat. Fry chicken a second time for 1-2 minutes, flipping once. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In medium bowl add mayo, wasabi paste, lemon juice and ginger, mix well.
- Preheat oven to 550°F. with baking steel or pizza stone inside the oven for 1 hour.
- Chop green onions. Grate mozzarella cheese.
- Flour surface and roll out dough, flour lightly as needed. Put a floured pizza peel underneath the dough.
- Add wasabi mayo to pizza, then 1 cup mozzarella cheese, then chicken karaage, 1 more cup of mozzarella cheese and green onions then pat down.
- Bake pizza in the oven at 550° F. for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven with pizza peel and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice it up!
Thanks for joining us on Weird Wild Pizza. But that’s not all! Subscribe to see what’s up next…
MYSTERY PIZZA #97
What weird wild pizza do you want Papa Za to make next? And don’t forget to come over to the shop and grab yourself a cheesy pizza shirt!
You have been invited to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
“Will you join the Pizza Weirdoughs”