This is about as close as you’re gonna get to Montreal, unless you’re already there! We keep it real here at Weird Wild Pizza with this Montreal smoked meat pizza recipe. The World Famous Schwartz’s does not mess around with their meat, with over 90 years of tradition, they are the oldest deli in Canada and are a Montreal classic. Arguably the best Montreal Smoked Meat on the planet, these guys know what’s up! And it’s so fresh they make you cook it at home. Genius!
The wild pizza dough even gets in on the tradition of the sacred Montreal smoked meat, with a rye pizza crust. Slathered in none other than ‘THE’ classic yellow mustard, bold and tangy, the perfect addition to smoked meat on rye. And it wouldn’t be right without a fresh pickle. I know it doesn’t feel right seeing a pickle on a pizza but y’know what else isn’t right, a freakin’ Montreal smoked meat pizza without a pickle… ya gotta pick your battles.
Montreal Smoked Meat | Pickles | Yellow Mustard | Mozzarella Cheese
Montreal Smoked Meat Pizza
- BAKING STEEL
- PIZZA CUTTERS
- PIZZA PEEL
- ROLLING PIN
- 2 cups Montreal Smoked Meat
- 2 Pickles quartered
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- ⅔ cup Yellow Mustard
WILD RYE DOUGH
- 2 cups Sourdough Starter active
- ½ cup Dark Rye Flour
- ½ cup Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
WILD RYE DOUGH (1 hour)
- Make your dough by mixing the sourdough starter, rye flour and salt together. Then add bread flour (adding a bit of flour at a time until it takes shape but is still a little sticky) and knead the dough for about 30 seconds.
- Place the dough in lightly floured bowl and cover with a towel, set aside for 1 hour. (The pizza steel or stone needs to preheat for 1 hour as well, so preheat oven to 550 degrees after you finish making your pizza dough)
PIZZA (8-10 min)
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees F. with baking steel or pizza stone inside the oven for 1 hour.
- Prepare Montreal Smoked Meat (follow any cooking instructions if there are any) cut 1 cup in thirds, and dice 1 cup. Cut pickle into quarters lengthwise. Grate mozzarella cheese.
- Flour surface and roll out the dough. Put a floured pizza peel underneath the dough. Add sauce, layer 1 cup of meat (that's cut in thirds) cheese, and diced meat. Pat down the toppings before putting into the oven.
- Bake pizza in the oven at 550 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven with pizza peel and let cool for 5 minutes. Add sliced pickles.
Thanks for joining us on Weird Wild Pizza. But that’s not all! Subscribe to see what’s up next…
MYSTERY PIZZA #18
What weird wild pizza do you want Papa Za to make next? And don’t forget to come over to the shop and grab yourself a cheesy pizza shirt!
You have been invited to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
“Will you join the Pizza Weirdoughs”