Pork belly done right is arguably the best possible meat choice out there, even better than, dare we say…bacon? But what happens when you make a red braised pork belly pizza? Well this is what happens! And it totally rocks, we weren’t sure how they flavours would meld but we were happily surprised. This pizza not only delivers crispy but tender pork belly pieces and fresh vegetables, but the secret weapon is what ties it all together, Sweet Chile Sauce.
Another key component to this red braised pork belly pizza is the five spice. It’s a combination of spices that you will never forget, used sparingly (and we are totally serious, please use sparingly or your red braised pork belly pizza will be far too intense) it will add an immense flavour profile to your pork belly that will make you come back for more…and more…and more. Just make sure you don’t over due it, because a little bit of this spice can go a very long way.
Red Braised Pork Belly | Bok Choy | Red Peppers | Red Onion Mozzarella Cheese | Sweet Chile Sauce
Red Braised Pork Belly Pizza
- BAKING STEEL
- PIZZA CUTTERS
- PIZZA PEEL
- ROLLING PIN
- 1½ cups Red Braised Pork Belly instructions below
- 1 cup Bok Choy
- ½ cup Red Pepper
- ⅓ cup Red Onion
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Sweet Chile Sauce
- 2 cups Sourdough Starter active
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
Red Braised Pork Belly
- 1 lb Pork Belly
- Water for boiling
- 2 tbsp Ginger
- 4 Green Onions
- 1 Serrano Chili
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup Water hot
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ginger ground
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice ground
- Make your dough by mixing the sourdough starter, flour and salt together (adding a bit of flour at a time until it takes shape but is still a little sticky) and knead the dough for about 30 seconds.
- Place the dough in lightly floured bowl and cover with a towel, set aside for 1 hour. (The pizza steel or stone needs to preheat for 1 hour as well, so preheat oven to 550 degrees after you finish making your pizza dough)
Red Braised Pork Belly
- Peel and slice ginger, chop green onions, slice serrano chili lengthwise, and cut pork belly into 1 inch cubes.
- In large wok, fill half way with water and bring to a boil. Add ginger, onions, serrano chili and pork belly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove pork belly from wok, discard water, ginger, onion and chili.
- Heat wok to med-high heat and add oil. Add pork belly and cook until golden brown, then remove pork belly from wok.
- Add brown sugar to wok and melt slightly (careful not to burn sugar). Add hot water and mix well. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, Chinese five spice, and ground ginger. Add pork belly and stir well to coat the pork belly in the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook for 10 minutes. Remove pork belly and cut into ⅛ inch slices when cool.
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees with baking steel or pizza stone inside the oven for 1 hour.
- Grate mozzarella cheese.
- Flour surface and roll out the dough. Put a floured pizza peel underneath the dough. Add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Pat down the toppings before putting into the oven.
- Bake pizza in the oven at 550 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove pizza from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
Thanks for joining us on Weird Wild Pizza. But that’s not all! Subscribe to see what’s up next…
MYSTERY PIZZA #12
What weird wild pizza do you want Papa Za to make next? And don’t forget to come over to the shop and grab yourself a cheesy pizza shirt!
You have been invited to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
“Will you join the Pizza Weirdoughs”