WEIRD WILD PIZZA OF THE WEEK
Shrimp and Grits Pizza Recipe
First and foremost to all the traditionalist out there, it’s really hard to find grits. And this Shrimp and Grits Pizza recipe is proof. We’ve seen a lot of people substitute cornmeal for grits, although it’s not exactly the same. But ya know what, its still super good its just a slight difference in the texture, but if ya cook it right you’re in a good place.
When you add butter, cheese, bacon and shrimps, you’ve just made anyone who gets some a happier person. Grits or cornmeal will both work in this recipe so don’t worry about it if ya cant stay traditional with it. We are the furthest thing from traditional anyways, so the glass slipper fits and cornmeal can still makes some excellent grits. Cheesy, bacony and shrimpy grits!
WEIRD WILD TOPPINGS
Shrimp | Grits | Bacon | Green Onion | Mozzarella Cheese
OUR MAGICAL WILD PIZZA DOUGH
All Weird Wild Pizzas are made with naturally occurring wild yeast to produce a healthier gluten option. And if you don’t care about that, it’s all good because it still delivers amazing taste.
Shrimp and Grits Pizza
- BAKING STEEL
- CAST IRON PAN
- ROLLING PIN
- PIZZA PEEL
- PIZZA CUTTERS
- 1½ cup Shrimp instructions below*
- 1 cup Grits instructions below*
- 1 cup Bacon instructions below*
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Green onion
- 1 tbsp Garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tbsp Butter
WILD PIZZA DOUGH
- 2 cups Sourdough starter
- 1 cup Bread flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Grits (or Cornmeal)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Milk
- ¼ cup Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper `
WILD PIZZA DOUGH (1 hour)
- Knead the dough for 30 seconds, flour lightly as needed.
- Place the wild dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover with a towel, set aside for 1 hour. (The pizza steel or stone needs to preheat for 1 hour as well, so preheat oven to 550°F after you finish making your pizza dough).
- In saucepan, bring milk and water to boil over medium heat, whisk often. Slowly whisk in grits then turn heat to low and cover.
- Remove lid every 5 minutes to whisk. Cook for a total of 20 minutes or until creamy.
- Remove from heat, add salt, pepper and butter then whisk. Add cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Bake bacon in oven on parchment paper lined baking pan at 420°F for 15 minutes, then flip. Cook bacon an additional 5-10 minutes, or until cooked (make sure not to overcook it because it will be cooking in the oven for an additional 10 minutes on the pizza)
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towel lined plate. Let cool, then chop into bite sized pieces, reserve 1 cup.
- Dice garlic.
- In frying pan cook butter, garlic and shrimp on medium-high heat for 1 minute each side, turn off heat and remove from pan.
- Preheat oven to 550°F with baking steel or pizza stone inside the oven.
- Grate mozzarella cheese.
- Flour surface and roll out the dough. Put a floured pizza peel underneath the dough.
- Add warm grits, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, bacon, shrimp, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, green onions. Pat down the toppings before putting into the oven.
- Bake pizza at 550°F for 8-10 minutes, by sliding pizza onto baking steel with pizza peel.
- Remove pizza from oven with pizza peel. Let cool for 5 minutes, slice and enjoy!
Thanks for joining us on Weird Wild Pizza. But that’s not all, see what’s up next!…
But what Weird and Wild pizza do you want Papa Za to make? Because the weirder the better, let us know and we will put Papa Za back to work. So let’s get his butt back in the kitchen to start creating more crazy pizza experiments!
You are welcome to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
Will you become one of the Pizza Weirdoughs!
Watch the Weird Wild Pizza Cooking Show | YOUTUBE | Follow Weird Wild Pizza | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | PINTEREST |