Sweet and sour! Are we mad?! Totally yes in all ways possible but y’know what’ll make you happy? This sweet and sour pork pizza recipe. Sweet, sour and cheese can get a little dicey but we’re all in luck, not only does it work on this pizza, but this pizza will make you wanna work for it, it’s that darn good.
Sweet ain’t as sweet without the sour is what they say and I couldn’t agree more, philosophically and literally, the sweet and sour pork, seared veggies, mozzarella cheese and some extra sweet and sour sauce makes this sweet and sour pork pizza unique and unanimous favorite.
Celery | Red & Green Pepper | White & Green Onion | Pineapple | Sweet and Sour Pork
Sweet and Sour Pork Pizza
"Our pizza is weird and our dough is wild, made from all-natural sourdough starter."
Servings: 8 slices
- BAKING STEEL
- PIZZA CUTTERS
- PIZZA PEEL
- ROLLING PIN
- 2 cups Sweet and sour pork instructions below*
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Sweet and sour sauce instructions below*
- 2 cups Sourdough starter active
- 1 cup Bread flour
- 1 tsp Salt
SWEET AND SOUR PORK*
- ½ lb Pork butt
- 1 cup Cooking oil
- 1 Egg white
- 1 Green onion
- ½ stalk Celery
- ¼ Red pepper
- ¼ Green pepper
- ¼ White onion
- ½ tsp Soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1 cup Pineapple tidbits with juice
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- ¾ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp Soy sauce
Wild Dough (1 hour)
- Make your dough by mixing the sourdough starter, flour and salt together (adding a bit of flour at a time until it takes shape but is still a little sticky) and knead the dough for 30 seconds.
- Place the dough in lightly floured bowl and cover with a towel, set aside for 1 hour. (The pizza steel or stone needs to preheat for 1 hour as well, so preheat oven to 550 degrees after you finish making your pizza dough)
SWEET AND SOUR PORK*
- Dice celery and green onion. Cut red and green pepper, and white onion into 1" cubes.
- Cut pork into 1" x ¼" slices, removing excess fat. Add pork slices to medium bowl, add 1/4 tsp. sugar, soy sauce, egg white and green onions. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes, then add ¼ cup cornstarch, making sure to coat all the pork.
- In wok, heat 1 cup of oil to medium heat. Add pork and cook 6-8 minutes or until golden brown both sides, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon and let rest on a paper towel lined plate.
- Carefully remove some excess oil from wok, until there is about ½ cup remaining. Add celery, white onion, red and green pepper, still cooking on medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until cooked. Remove veggies and set aside.
- Carefully remove excess oil from wok, until there is about 2 tbsp. remaining. Add pineapple tidbits with juice, water (only ½ cup), 2 tbsp. sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce, bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and cold water (only ¼ cup) and add to wok, mix until sauce thickens to desired consistency. Reserve 1 cup sauce. Add pork and veggies and mix well. Reserve 2 cups.
PIZZA (8-10 minutes)
- Grate mozzarella.
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees F. with baking steel or pizza stone inside the oven for 1 hour.
- Flour surface and roll out the dough. Put a floured pizza peel underneath the dough. Add sauce, mozzarella, and sweet and sour pork. Pat down the toppings before putting into the oven.
- Bake pizza in the oven at 550 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then slice it up!
Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 573mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 1mg
Thanks for joining us on Weird Wild Pizza. But that’s not all! Subscribe to see what’s up next…
MYSTERY PIZZA #57
What could the next pizza be? And what Weird and Wild pizza do you want Papa Za to make next? Because the weirder the better, let us know and we will put Papa Za back to work. Let’s get his butt back in the kitchen to start creating more crazy pizza experiments!
WE ARE THE PIZZA WEIRDOUGHS
You have been invited to join the quest for making the weirdest and wildest pizzas on the planet. We may make your dream pizza or by accident, we may make your nightmare pizza. Sorry not sorry, it’s what we do. But we do it for you!
“Will you join the Pizza Weirdoughs”
YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | PINTEREST | TIK TOK